Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sons of Beaches




Woke up early yesterday morning to catch a ride to Manhattan beach for a beach workout. Now that Ive learned the lay of the land, riding around the city has been alot of fun. At times I mentally keep refering to one of my favorite Owen songs music video.



I got a ride with my teammate Will and a few other people. The ride was fun and the air had not yet gotten hot to induce swamp ass. Manhattan beach as described by wikipedia "The city is a very upscale beach town within commuting distance of Los Angeles, making it one of the most expensive coastal towns in which to live in America, according to the most recent Fortune Magazine rankings. The town regularly smashes Los Angeles County real estate sales records, with the median price of a single family dwelling with an ocean view approaching 2.1 million dollars."

For workout the Trojan swim club did a different workout than the actual college team. We had the bright idea of swimming from pier to pier...little did we know that when it was all over we swam 1.8 miles....with current and tide added. Id say we swam little over 2 miles. After a 2 mile walk back, the team went to the kettle for breakfast which is a Trojan tradition to eat at after beach workout. Food was great and Since Im still new it was fun to just get to know people.



After workout we drove back into the city. The last few days two forest fires broke out along Pasadena and the San Fernando Valley. One started by a drivers lit cigarette other by arson. California is a very smog trapping state so with all these fires has made for a very hazy landscape. While driving into the city, these were some photos my camera caught.



Heres a better photo I didnt take


The rest of the day was spent napping and putting together my sound system. The turntable I bought is really nice but the cheap amp I bought was not working..Ill just troll craigslist I suppose. After that I had dinner with the landlords and went over to the swim house for a few beers and slip-n-slide.



One thing I really love about the street I live on are the food stands that drive by everyday. Fruit, Vegetables and Ice cream carts drive by playing a wide variety of music from happy birthday to Mexican hat dance music....Some even just yell what there selling "Tiiimmmmm-alll-eeeeeeeees" (that SOB always wakes me up during my naps like clockwork). The other day for 12 bucks I purchased 3 mangos, 6 peaches, 2 pounds of grapes, pineapple and a Coke (in the glass bottle). On a limited budget, I could live off fruit easily.

1 comment: